September 25 is the drop date for ‘Re-Machined’
|'Re-Machined' Deep Purple Tribute 2012|
In the wake of Jon Lord’s sad passing comes news of a September 25 release date for the much-anticipated Re-Machined – A Tribute to Deep Purple’s Machine Head.
Compiled to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the one of the truly groundbreaking albums in rock history, Re-Machined has taken on special meaning in light of Lord’s death, the virtuoso keyboardist having contributed greatly to the influential sound of Deep Purple.
Among the more interesting tracks on Re-Machined is a version of “Space Truckin’” by Iron Maiden that was actually recorded in 2006. It’s been on the shelf gathering dust ever since.
“Initially we didn’t think we’d be able to contribute anything due to our touring commitments,” explained Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson in a press release related to Re-Machined. “Then we remembered ‘Space Truckin’ which we’d recorded as a single B-side during our A Matter of Life and Death album session, but never used. However now, thanks to Kevin Shirley’s remixing skills, we’re able to include it on Re-Machined.”
Of course, “Smoke on the Water” is represented – two different re-imagined versions being put forth, one by indie-rock favorites Flaming Lips and the other a collaboration between Carlos Santana and Papa Roach’s Jacoby Shaddix. And what Deep Purple tribute album would be complete without participation from Metallica, who rework “When A Blind Man Cries,” a song Deep Purple recorded during the Machine Head sessions but which actually appeared on the B-side to “Never Before.”
Due out on Eagle Records, Re-Machined: A Tribute to Deep Purple’s Machine Head will be included initially as a limited edition Classic Rock “fanpack” on September 3.
1) Smoke On the Water - Carlos Santana & Jacoby Shaddix
2) Highway Star - Chickenfoot
3) Maybe I'm a Leo - Glenn Hughes & Chad Smith
4) Pictures of Home - Black Label Society
5) Never Before - Kings of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagen, Matt Sorum)
6) Smoke on the Water - The Flaming Lips
7) Lazy - Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
8) Space Truckin' - Iron Maiden
9) When a Blind Man Cries - Metallica
10) Highway Star - Glenn Hughes/Steve Vai/Chad Smith